|Project by wallybob||posted 1695 days ago||1862 views||6 times favorited||15 comments|
This was my first attempt at making a guitar so I chose to make a solid body electric which I knew would be a lot easier than an acoustic one.
The incentive to build the guitar came from my youngest brother, well he’s young to me, he’s in his mid 50’s., who collects classic electric guitars and presently has about 50 with matching amps from the period. As a matter of fact he has converted an entire bedroom in his house to store and display the instruments.
So the idea was to make a one of a kind just for him and something I might be able to accomplish with my limited woodworking skills and no musical talent. The design is based on the original Fender Telecaster although it is not a copy. All you guitar coinsures will notice the obvious differences, no pick guard, the edge banding. and the dual tone and volume knobs.
The guitar is a two piece body of Honduran Mahogany with quilted/tiger maple veneer top and the neck is a piece of tiger maple left over from a jewelry box I made for my wife. The fret board and access cover are rosewood. The finish is hand sanded Liberon to 1000 grit and wax. (I’m just learning to spray lacquer and didn’t want to take a chance on this project) The feel of the finish is hard to describe but my brother, who just received the guitar yesterday, told me that he thinks the neck has a better feel than any of his other four Telecasters. To me that made the project all worthwhile. Shaping the neck was one of the most enjoyable parts of the project. It took almost two days with a spoke shave, rasp, and sanding but I found the challenge relaxing. Thanks to You Tube for the video on how to do it because I had no idea.
I am also indebted to two young students at the junior college where I volunteer for helping me with the project which would not have been completed without their help. Scott for the woodworking aspects of the project and Waturo for wiring the electronics and the setup. I have no musical talent so with out their help this project would not have been completed.
Thanks for looking,