|Project by wecoyote||posted 01-06-2010 04:31 AM||8672 views||1 time favorited||7 comments|
Well after literally months of working on this cabinet, it is finally done enough to take pictures and post on Lumberjocks.
This whole thing started with my lovely wife saying she was going to buy a free-standing storage cabinet from Zeller’s or Wal-Mart to increase our storage capacity in the basement. Well, I took that as a challenge to build a REAL cabinet out of real wood and not that plastic coated particle board flimsy stuff.
As you can tell from this attitude, this was going to be quite a project. Remember, this is a basement cabinet that really nobody will see but us. However, I could not leave well enough alone, could I?
The cabinet you see is over 6’ wide and 2’ deep. There are three separate storage areas each with adjustable shelves. The main shell and door center sections are maple veneer plywood. The face frame and door edges are simple premium pine. I used Kregg pocket screws to hold everything together and even attach the hinge side of the door surrounds.
The doors have a 3/8 notch that allows the door to sit into the face frame opening. The outer part of the door has a quarter round detail. The detail on the doors and the “gunstock” stain are used in order to match our 1950’s original wood custom cabinets upstairs in the kitchen. Though the upstairs cabinets were just natural pine coated with 1950’s varnish, they have darkened over time to about the color you see here.
I highly recommend the use of water-based polyurethane instead of oil base. Though it is a bit more expensive, the reduction in fumes is amazing. I was able to work on this in the basement without stinking up the entire house (like with the stain). It went on easily with a foam brush and dried quickly. I only needed to sand after the first of three coats of poly. Since I used semi-gloss, the finish wasn’t as sensitive to my bursh strokes.
Since it is on the uneven basement floor, I used six adjustable feet to make it level. The are accessed through small holes big enough for an allen wrench or screw driver. Everything now sits straight, level and plumb. Overall it came out pretty good. Now that I have taken pictures of it, tomorrow it will start getting filled with “stuff”.
-- B. Corliss