|Project by Bertha||posted 07-25-2016 04:29 PM||785 views||1 time favorited||11 comments|
I wanted to make a trial run for a large Shaker chest I’m planning. This is a 1/3 scale miniature to be used freestanding alongside a sewing table.
I through-dovetailed the 3/4” carcass, cut the 1/4” dados with a dado stack, and the sliding dovetail on the jig.
I used a dovetail jig to make the sliding dovetails for the drawer dividers. I won’t have this luxury on the full sized edition.
I decided to capture the dust panels in rails and stiles. The sliding dovetail is incorporated into the front of the divider, rather than a glue-on. There was no secondary wood, so there was no reason to apply one.
I hand-cut all the drawer dovetails using a pull saw and W. Butcher chisels. I started with a very thin kerf saw but had trouble tracking it. I think the spine was messing with my vision. I switched to a thicker cut Dozuki and was better able to keep it to the strikes. Fronts are half blind, backs are through. Front is 3/4 and rest is 1/2.
I used inverted raised panels for the drawer bottoms. Yes, it’s very heavy.
Here’s a peacock.
Starting to put the case together. I’ll glue the carcass/dividers and brad the back. That’s it.
Shiplapped 1/4” back.
View of the case with dust panels installed.
Time to turn some knobs. Just pegs, no hardware.
assembled. Finish is sanded (I know) 160 to 220 to 320; penetrating coat of Tung oil, wetsanded with tung oil at 400; one more coat of Tung; and burnished Briwax using a burnisher I bought on Etsy.
Out in the wild.
And at home.
-- My dad and I built a 65 chev pick up.I killed trannys in that thing for some reason-Hog