|Project by AgentTwitch||posted 07-23-2016 11:26 PM||871 views||3 times favorited||4 comments|
I made a pair of multi bit screwdrivers from African Blackwood, brass tube, and a couple of sets of Wera multi bits. I got the idea and design style from the Lie-Nielsen bit driver that they offer. I couldn’t justify the price, even though I am a huge fan of their tools.
I had so much fun with the screwdriver swap that I figured I should make one for my father and me. I had some free blackwood and some brass tube, so I got to work. The Wera multi bits are the same that Lie-Nielsen uses.
I filed decorative grooves into the brass ferrule in one handle while it was still on the lathe. You might notice that in the last picture that the bit adapter is longer than in the other pictures. Your eyes are not fooling you, this is the first one that I built and had heated up the first bit adapter with the intent to burn it in the handle and it lost its magnetism. Lesson learned!
For the other two I just drilled a slightly smaller hole and then used pressure to get the bit holder seated and then used epoxy to make sure it was permanent.
-- Regards, Norm