|Project by cathyb||posted 01-04-2010 07:44 AM||1704 views||0 times favorited||20 comments|
I’ve been busy working on my house for the past month, but I finally finished this pair of koa tables. This is what I did: I made the cabriole legs and instead of padded foot I created sort of a paw (not a hairy paw-just a paw). As an added element I shaped the aprons with a french curve. The tops are scalloped and that should have been the end of it, but not so fast.
I have found that the more expensive the wood; the more difficult it is to work. That koa on the top is curly and I paid $45 a board foot. The legs came out fine. The aprons were straight forward. How hard can it be to add a top? I had this curly wood which was 11 inches wide and I resawed it and ran it through my belt sander. It was flat- that is until I came into the shop the next day. Here’s the thing, if I hadn’t paid so much money for that wood, I would have selected another piece of wood and be done with it…....no.
I took a second piece of curly koa, which was not quite wide enough, but just as curly. Resawed it, sanded it, glued it together and attached it to the table. Then I took my original top, sanded it, glued it together and then cut kerfs every 1 1/2” on the underside to get that contemptible thing flat. Then I glued it to the secondary top- a this point I was literally going for broke! An amazing thing happened IT ACTUALLY WORKED!!!!!! Yes, I know it was supposed to work, but it actually DID work.
I thought I’d share that gut wrenching experience, because if something like that hasn’t happened to you yet, just wait…..it will. Still I’m loving the challenge.
HAPPY NEW YEAR
It only took three months, but I finally got over to the gallery to take a photo of the leg. Here is another take on the Fruits of My Passion.
-- cathyb, Hawaii, www.cathyswoodworking.com