|Project by cjones||posted 01-04-2010 05:14 AM||5705 views||0 times favorited||7 comments|
This was my first woodworking project. I made it in Spring and early Summer ‘09.
The first two pics are after, and the third is before.
I had this crappy old ‘70s pine dresser with some heavy dark finish on it that I “inherited” from my dad when I moved to college. I thought it would be a good first project since if I completely futzed it up, I’m just out a crappy dresser.
My goal for this was to use only wood from the dresser in the project and to make mistakes so I can learn. I succeeded in both. The only thing I added was hinges, glue, stain, and finish.
- Four drawers went to 3 shelves and 1 drawer.
- The thicker drawer fronts became the rails and stiles of the doors.
- The drawer sides and backs became the floating panels in the doors. Notice the creative clamping (read: use of gravity) involved when you have no tools.
- The drawer bottoms became the shelves. Because they were slightly smaller than the frame, I ended up making them floating, too.
- The handles became the handles.
Luckily, Moms love what you make no matter what :), so now it’s at her house.
-- Living well is the best revenge.