|Project by McLeanVA||posted 01-03-2010 02:18 AM||3291 views||5 times favorited||11 comments|
A few months ago I decided to take this end table out to the shop for some much-needed repairs. At first I assumed it was walnut because of its dark patina and open grain pattern. The top was peeling apart due to a VERY old veneer job, the drawer had fallen apart and most of joints had loosed up a good bit leaving it a bit on the wobbly side. It’s pretty darn old.
After removing and throwing away the top and drawer, I tapped all of the remaining joints loose with a rubber mallet. I sanded the legs and aprons down and posted some photos on the LJ forum to see if anyone could identify the wood species. Within a day I had plenty of responses that I—in fact—did not have a walnut table after all. Based on the overwhelming response, it was mahogany. So I placed an order for some new material and built a new top, drawer and drawer front. The old finish/grit/grime made it so dark that it was almost black.
I finished it with Antique Oil applied with #0000 steel wool x4 coats. Covered with Arm-R-Seal (satin) x4 coats sanding with #0000 steel wool in between coats.
Funny thing was that I never knew it had the nice maple inlay along the front legs until I sanded it down to the bare bones. I’m not sure of the history of the table, but I do know that it’s been in the family for a few generations. In all honesty, I’m less interested in the intrinsic value than I am in having a refinished table to place my coffee in the mornings.
And now I know how to identify mahogany. Fun project and well worth the time it took to go back to bare bones and rebuild it from sticks.
-- Measure, cut, curse, repeat.