|Project by Mark||posted 07-15-2016 06:05 PM||478 views||1 time favorited||5 comments|
My 1st crack at dying a turning. I received about a dozen pcs of Cherry in the fall. Under a tarp out side till now. While turning I recognized the fact the wood was still green, but like a complete dumda$$ I turned the piece over 3 days. Each day the wood had move (of coarse), I re turned it each day and still the damned light never came on. After the final turn and sanding on day 3, I let it sit for a day or 2. then applied the dye in several stages. About this time (I guess from the wet dye) the wood shrank and I couldn’t mount it in the chuck as I had cut the mortice in the bottom a bit to tight to the chuck jaws. That made applying the 10 coats of cut down WOP and sanding to 1000 grit a bit of a pain. You can see a bit how much it warped but the pics tell the tail. I did try a jam chuck but it had warped so much by this time and was so off centre I thought it was going to launch itself across the room. How ever…I like the effect of dying the wood. Not saying I’ll do that to all my project , but It’s kinda cool. The grossly warped piece is ok ‘cause I kinda like that. But the finish blows. All in all and good experiment and learning experience. Sorry about the long post.
Thanks fer lookin’.