|Project by january||posted 07-14-2016 01:35 PM||581 views||3 times favorited||1 comment|
I (and likely our BBQ guests) got tired of looking at my compost pile so I put this together in a weekend. All reclaimed cedar in various states of weathering that I had laying around from other projects.
We’ve had mice living in the compost pile in the past, so I lined the bottom and top with hardware cloth. Keeps out the mice but lets the worms, sunshine and rain in, which makes the compost work faster. After doing some research, SUPPOSEDLY, even young rats cannot squeeze through a hole less than 1/2”, so the distance between the slats is 1/2”. I used a scrap piece of molding to line it up nice. I’m a little doubtful that they can’t squeeze through this, but we’ll see.
There are 10 levels here and the levels all separate from each other. That way I can take off a few levels, shovel the dirt out, take off some more, etc. Conceivably I could set up two piles, too, each 5 levels, but I had so much volume from my existing pile that I’m using it as one unit. The inside corners are 3×3s that are cut at each level, just shy of the top of the 1×4 slats; that way, they lock together.
I used some scrap oak quarter round I had laying around to cover up the edges where I stapled the hardware cloth and create a matching handle.
I love taking the compost out now!
I wasn’t initially planning on finishing it because of food toxicity issues, but I came across Timber Pro Internal Wood Stabilizer soon after I finished it. After I finish my second bin (goal is a 3-bin system), I’ll empty the first one into the second and finish it with this stuff.
-- Heh heh, you said "wood"