|Project by Jim Jakosh||posted 07-07-2016 01:52 AM||870 views||0 times favorited||20 comments|
I made a mallet for my lathe at least 5 years ago and it split out when I hit something hard last year( second photo). I finally took the time to replace the head and I saved the mesquite handle because it was still okay. I wanted to have brass rings around the ends of the head to keep it from ever splitting again but that was $32 a foot plus shipping. When shopping for steel at Central Iron on Tuesday, I found a short stainless steel pipe exactly the size I needed and made the rings out of it. The third shot shows the PVC loader I made to pound the rings on. They have about an .008” press fit and no glue. The last shot shows the end of the head that I coated with West System epoxy to solidify those end grain fibers. I am not sure what kind of wood it is but LJ Doug Scott brought me a 4×4 of it and it is real heavy and dense grain.
This one should outlast me!!
It is finished with clear lacquer.
-- Jim Jakosh.....Practical Wood Products...........Learn something new every day!! Variety is the Spice of Life!!