LumberJocks

Arbor Gate Redo

  • Advertise with us
Project by greg48 posted 07-03-2016 06:25 PM 462 views 1 time favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch

About 5 years ago I constructed a gated arbor to access the lower yard/creek (link failure). In the intervening years the arbor has held up well with the exception of the gates. Due to the weathering and weight of the gates, the top of the mortises on the stiles of the gates blew out causing the gates to sag badly. Time to rethink and redesign the gates.

I made two slight design changes by adding a curve at the hinge stiles to reflect the curves on the arbor post braces. Secondly, I redesigned the “grill” to reflect the pattern of the fence that was added later.

I opted for a glued saddle joint at the rail/stile intersections using Titebond III. Didn’t bother pinning the joints because I figured that if the glue failed, pinning wouldn’t add much strength in the soft redwood. The “grill” was 1/2” x 1 1/2” slats that were half lapped at their intersections and set into a dadoed and mitered frame of the same material which was then inserted into the gate opening and tacked down with finishing nails.

As with the original project, the wood is clear all heart OG Redwood. The finish is just Thompson’s clear deck sealer, to see if it will impede the weathering the old gates experienced.

Happy 4th everyone and keep the man glitter flying.

-- Greg, No. Cal. - "Gaudete in Domino Semper"





1 comment so far

View Roger's profile

Roger

19590 posts in 2197 days


#1 posted 07-04-2016 03:23 PM

Very nice. Have a safe 4th of July Independance Day

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Keep your dust collector fed. Kentuk55@yahoo.com

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com