|Project by TheFridge||posted 07-03-2016 05:23 AM||2305 views||8 times favorited||20 comments|
I’ve been needing a moxon to do a project and I had some figured maple and some spalted hackberry elm so I figured I’d give it a shot.
I bought some 3/4-6 acme and nuts off eBay for about 40-45$
I wasn’t planning on doing a lambs tongue until I saw fellow LJ Luke Addingtons moxon build. He made it super easy to follow along.
I did some crossgrain dovetails for the hell of it. They don’t add any strength structurally but they look nice. The dry fit was kinda sketchy and the glue up took almost every clamp I had to squeeze it together. It barely came together. It also gave me another chance to use my Bob Summerfield saw on a project ( RMSaws.com ). Love it.
I made it to have 26” between the screws so it will accommodate any 24” casework I may do in the future.
I turned the handwheels from spalted hackberry elm and JB welded it onto the rod. The rod had the nut pinned and peened on the end and ground flush. I made a figured walnut medallion to put in the center of the handwheels just because.
I turned some meranti to hold the nuts captive on the back of the chop.
Cut the lambs tongue
Try some French polishing for the first time
Tried a complicated inlay for the first time
Put some leather to protect from the holdfasts and a coat of wax and she’s done
Special thanks to fellow LJ Hammerthumb. A very special thanks… In a totally platonic way…
Thanks for looking.
-- Shooting down the walls of heartache. Bang bang. I am. The warrior.