|Project by Llarian||posted 12-29-2009 06:36 AM||1531 views||1 time favorited||7 comments|
The beginnings of this bowl are referenced in my blog entry here: http://lumberjocks.com/Llarian/blog/12257
I’m fairly happy with the form, which was the part I was least certain about going into it. The wood is gorgeous and I’d love to get my hands on more of it.
This was my first shot at turning green(ish) wood, and I clearly didn’t let it dry quite enough, there is a little warp in the edges. That said, the denatured alcohol soak method worked quite well overall. I did get a small crack near the base, but its fairly minor. The second bowl I used that method on has no warp, and I think the cracking in that one is due to not soaking long enough and not having even walls.
The finish is a gloss poly, which I’m still not sold on. Might go semi-gloss next time.
Since its one of my first “serious” efforts, its being given as a gift rather than going on Etsy or something. One of these days I’m sure I’ll make something I actually want to keep. But its so much more fun to make things for others.
(FWIW, I have a bandsaw now since I wrote that blog entry. It really does open up an additional world of turning)
-- Dylan Vanderhoof - General hobbiest and reluctant penmaker. http://llarian.etsy.com