|Project by AandCstyle||posted 06-29-2016 04:12 PM||700 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
We moved into this house about a year ago and decided that the carpeting wasn’t something we wanted. Therefore, we tore it all out (gradually over time) and replaced it with 3/4” by 2 1/4” hard maple. I saved the stairs for last because I knew they would be a bear. The first step was to remove the carpeting and padding, then the tack strips and staples. The treads were basic pine and the risers looked like C-D plywood. I cut the noses off the original treads using my circular saw and a multi-tool which actually did a better job than the circular saw. I made poplar risers and painted them as can be seen in the first 3 pix. The fourth pic is a “before” shot that really doesn’t show the ugly very well. I custom fit each riser and left 1/4” for any expansion. The treads are maple that I milled from rough stock. Fortunately, the local lumber store had 6 foot shorts pretty reasonably priced. The treads were also individually fit and they were finished with Bona Mega. They match the purchased flooring good enough to please SWMBO. In spite of my best efforts, I needed to caulk the edges. Anyhow, we are ecstatic with the outcome. Thanks for looking and any comments.