|Project by toddbeaulieu||posted 06-28-2016 09:01 PM||898 views||3 times favorited||7 comments|
I’m renovating the kitchen of my my 1733 home. The kitchen was too modern and too small. I may post more on the overall project later, but this is about the hood. I’ve never built one and was plagued by insecurities about not being well versed in proportions, typical designs and even molding patterns and practices. But I trudged my way through it, working my way from the bottom-up. If I had it to do over I’d experiment with some difference, for sure, but I’m happy with it overall and the Wife really likes it.
I got the blower on CL, brand new, for $300, which was almost $800 off retail. A hood can easily be another $1k plus. My savings spree continues!
The oak is left over from the flooring that I installed. It’s reclaimed oak, milled into flooring. It’s got LOTS of wormholes, nail marks, oxide streaks or whatever that black stuff is from the nails, cracks and knots. But we like that stuff.
The brown boards are used flooring that I got on CL for free. I have a big stack and have used it in three places in the kitchen so far, so I feel like it’s really tying things together.
The compound miter on the mid section was a pain because I did NOT pay attention in geometry class and am now being punished. I was about to sneak up on the final side miter when I hastily set the miter saw to 45 because that’s what 99% of the angles are, right? I needed 55. And that lopped too much off, trashing my glue up. Start over.
The front curve proved quite difficult for me. I screwed up the first approach with an hour of wasted effort and had to re-cut it and start over. This time I used rasps, constantly taking it out of the vice and checking the flow. Because of the shape I couldn’t bead it on the table, so I had to use a trim router. Of course in the blink of an eye all that work could be ruined with one false step. I joined the curve beading to the straight with a chisel.
I wish I had set that beaded trim piece near the top … lower, and with both edges beaded. Like a band. I wish I had thought to try that to see how it looked. I feel like the top is a bit crowded. There are a few mistakes I could point out, of course. Like I said … I’m still happy with it.
I did most of the joinery with biscuits, which really help keep faces aligned.
Arm-r-Seal is what I use mostly. I’ll be applying gel stain to the oak when it dries and immediately wiping it off. I love that look, as it really enriches the look.
EDIT on 09/05/2016
We bricked the wall and the hood looks much better now. I was a bit on the fence with it before, but now I love it. Replaced the photos.