|Project by Scott Oldre||posted 06-27-2016 12:25 AM||1020 views||4 times favorited||8 comments|
After 16 years of faithful leadership and pastoral duties at our church, our Pastor was moved to accept a call to a new church that needed his talents.
Like usual I find these times of transition a time to look to the stash of treasured woods I’ve collected and paid way too much for, and determine that this is the time to use it. Gifts always make the pain of letting go of those precious woods a little less difficult.
What we have here is a absolutely unique Lectern. The top is a single plank of 7” solid 4/4 paduak cut and glued so it’s now 14” x 20”. There are 3 hand shaped ebony pieces mortised into the top to hold papers and books. It sits on 2 hand shaped standoffs of Bocote. which are lodged into dadoes in some Sapele that came from some old boat rib parts from a failed boat build in Charleston SC. The picker I bought it from told me it was Mahogany, comparing it to some sapele I had at home confirmed it was the Mahogany cousin, due to the color, light dark, wide stripes, and the heaviness.
I had several pieces of this, and originally I was going to use a perfectly curved piece of it to make the upright. Had both ends angled the way I needed, and then created the tenons, put it all together and found there was a twist in the wood, which if I tried to take it out, I would have lost too much of the strength due to the thinning of the board itself. So I did what I had to do and went to my local wood store, which I knew had a few 8/4 pieces. How fortunate that was. Both the top sapele piece and the bottom are morticed and tenoned together, but I also did not glue them, and instead used some serious outdoor 4”, like 3/16 diameter, wood screws with the torx heads. Amazing holding power and no worry about splitting anything.
The bottom was again, chuncks of the orginal boat wood, cut on a bias and gluded to the center piece with 2 biscuits on each side. I then chucked up a Harbor Freight, carbide cutting head into my check grinder and shaped them from 8/4 at the head to slightly over 1/2” at the tails. Just enough to screw in some rubber feet on the bottom.
Finished it in serval coats BLO/MineralSpirits/Poly. On the final coat, I upped the amount of poly, just to give it a little more protection.
Now I have a Vicar leaving in August and one more lectern to do. Since we’re getting a fresh new Pastor from seminary, we won’t be seeing any vicars (student pastors) for a lot of years. So, I think the next one will be my last.
Thanks for looking.
-- Scott, Irmo SC