|Project by Scott Oldre||posted 12-27-2009 07:24 PM||1528 views||2 times favorited||10 comments|
My wife’s friend at work gave her a chunk of gnarly looking wood and she brought it home. I have no idea what it is, and wasn’t really sure I should put it on the tiny little lathe as it was completely out of balance even after I had shaved it a little on the bandsaw. Thankfully I invested in an EasyRougher not too long ago and it can take a ton of abuse and still make quick work of whittling down the chunks into something I can work with. The pieced now stands 4” tall and is about 6.5” wide.
This piece had a lot of holes and rot and I was pretty nervous as it banged into the roughing tool over and over while the little lathe was getting shook to death. As it came into something resembling round, as usual I quickly sanded a section and smoothed it out to see just how the wood would show once finished. I was awed! So I kept at it and started hollowing it out. about halfway into the hollowing, I found nature had already done most of the work, as it was 50% rotted out underneath the cap. Even more so as I dug in deeper. As I neared the bottom, there was almost nothing left resembling solid wood, so I cut a clean hole down to the point where it just had nothing left, and put a cocobolo plug in it.
The base is Australian Myrtle (at least I think thats where it’s from…the guy that sold it to me sounded like Crocodile Dundee). Hope you like it. Its by far that holiest piece I’ve done and felt it was fitting since I finished it on a Sunday.
-- Scott, Irmo SC