|Project by Dave Rutan||posted 06-21-2016 08:50 PM||2066 views||5 times favorited||13 comments|
Our neighbor had a retaining wall put in and the stone for the masons came on pallets. Having this project in mind I asked if I could have them. I disassembled them using my Pallet Pal as designed by Izzy Swan. After denailing the boards I sorted them. The heavier ones I saved for this project, the lighter ones I used for the lid to my trash can corral.
After about 20 years of outdoor use our plastic hose reel started failing. The reel hub actually started coming apart 2 years ago. I took some measurements off of it and started by making the two trapezoids as the frame. I made the first more or less at random and then copied it for the second one.
[Above] I trimmed the corners off the boards making up the trapezoid using my pattern cutting jig.
[Above] My plan was to use a piece of plastic drain pipe as both an axle and as a conduit for the hose to hook up to the water faucet. I used a hole saw on the drill press to cut holes in the frame to hold said axle.
[Above] With the frame done it was time to start the reel. I started with a square hub that would accommodate the drain pipe. Originally I wanted the pipe to be one piece but I ended up breaking it while trying to force it into the hub, which was originally a bit too small. My local hardware store only had 1 foot or 10 foot lengths so I improvised and cut the pipe in half to fit in either end of the square hub.
[Above] I severely chamfered the corners of the hub to sort of round it over as much as possible. Then I cut a hole in one face the same size as the width of the space inside the hub. The hose will be fed through here to hook up to the water supply.
[Above] I built the sides of the reel, the ‘wheels’ so to speak, around the hub. Then I used my modified bevel gauge as a compass to describe a circle which I then cut out with a jig saw.
[Above] I attached the hub to the wheels with glue and even dug out my crappy brad nailer to help keep things together.
[Above] The reel is mounted in the frame. The plastic pipe is held to the wooden hub with a few screws.
[Above] Here’s where the photos get scarce because I was working away and forgot to take a few shots. I made a pair of 7 inch wheels by overlapping crosswise a few boards and cutting then into circles the super dangerous way on the table saw. I bolted them to the frame.
I also added a simple crank, two ‘toes’ opposite the wheels and a handle to assist in moving the reel around. Probably one good variation on this project would be to make it more of a lidded box so that it could be sat upon. This would also protect the hose from that pesky ultraviolet radiation. Ah, there’s always next time for improvements!
-- Ni faru ion el ligno!