|Project by Tooch||posted 06-17-2016 10:00 PM||2441 views||10 times favorited||22 comments|
So we have a wedding to go to tomorrow, and as it been my favorite gift to give, I made the happy couple a wine box. This time I decided to use up some of the scraps of padauk I had left over from a prior project, and did one really long glue up to cut all four sides (pic 6).
When making this type of box, I like to assemble it all as one closed 6 sided box, and then cut the lid off on the table saw. I order to accommodate for the 1/8” I would lose due to TS blade kerf, I made one strip of maple slightly wider than the others (also pic6). In addition to that, I also engrave and Lacquer the top piece before assembly, so that none of the dust can penetrate into box top when I sand the sides.
The woods used for this are maple, walnut, and padauk, with pieces of sandi-ply for the top and bottom. The construction is rabbet and dado, and its finished with several coats of spray Lacquer. It was interesting the the padauk bled into the strips of maple both when sanding and when using the spray Lacquer. I’m not really sure how to avoid that…
Anyways, thanks for looking ! Questions/ comments welcome and replied to!
-- "Well, the world needs ditch-diggers too..." - Judge Smails