|Project by gabriellus||posted 06-16-2016 01:02 PM||1035 views||4 times favorited||9 comments|
I’d built this 2-bowl dog feeder previously, and have been forced to look at it ever since, ugh. I’ve upped my skills since then, and had a metric ton of scrap cypress and red cedar in the shop. I knew that in the space that we feed the dogs, the walls and trim and such is a little awkward, and due to that the sides would need to be curved for all three bowls to fit. I milled up the stock and glued up the panel for the top. I cut the curves on the edge of the panel, and used the same radius circle to trace out the holes for the bowls.
This was when I realized that after I cut the holes for the bowls, the narrowest sections of the top panel would be much too weak to take the abuse of two dogs. I cut splines in the long edges of the top to accept some maple that I scrounged from the firewood pile and milled into long strips. These splines reinforce the weak endgrain in the panel, and add a pleasing detail to boot.
I cut the dog bowl holes out using a plunge router and a circle cutting attachment. I made 4 passes with each rotation, and I used blue tape to secure the center circle from being knocked around by the router and exploding and breaking my heart. The top edges then took a roundover bit on the router to soften the look and to shed the water easier.
At this point, I had a top that looked awesome and absolutely NO idea how the legs and base would come together. A serious design dilemma. Because of the curved top, your basic 4 leg design would look weird. Maybe a curved apron using bent wood lamination? What about the legs then? I thought of maybe integrating the circles cut from the top in the base design, but I couldn’t come up with anything that wasn’t, frankly, awful. I stashed the top away and forgot about it for a few months.
I spent most of the spring outside doing garden things, digging, moving, planting, hauling, etc. So last week I get a wild hair and decide enough was enough, I was gonna finish this feeder. I needed to break this design duck, so I went on Pinterest and dug around until I found my solution. Basically a shadow base on the ground, and elegant curved legs attaching the top. Within a day, I’d built the 3 panels for the bottom, end legs and center legs, got the dowel joints layed out and drilled, and then the final glue up. I’d actually used a piece of dogwood from the same firewood pile in the panels for the end legs, as I thought that was appropriate :D. Two coats of satin poly, added some screw-on rubber feet for the bottom to keep it from sliding around, and done.
Thanks for looking.