|Project by BullHammer||posted 06-16-2016 04:15 AM||443 views||0 times favorited||1 comment|
This was another great learning experience! My wife was having a major birthday a few days a major change in jobs, so I wanted to mark the occasion with a handmade mantle clock for her new office. I started the project about a month before the date, but finished a few weeks late. I ran into a few hurdles and made a few mistakes; like I said a learning project.
I knew I wanted to use figured wood, in part because I wanted it to stand out, but also because I had never worked with any before. I found a great sawyer near my home. He knew he could charge more for what he had, but said “why would I, I make a good living”. It was rough cut, so I had to mill it down, which had it’s own learning moments.
I had never really worked too much with chisels so trying to square off the hole for the pegs was a challenge. I messed it up the first try (I took a chunk out of the front of the face), and had to start the face again. About half way through the second face, I realized I could use a file and small rasp to help with getting the holes just right. Then I realized that I could use the same rasp and file combo on the pegs themselves.
Then…I drilled the hole for the clock to fit in. It was a 3-1/2” clock, so I made the hole 3-1/2”. Well, that’s the size of the clock face. The back of the clock was 3”. Needless to say, this was one of the moments that caused the build to be delayed. I couldn’t stop kicking myself for not measuring the back of the clock…or for not reading the instructions!
I ordered a new clock which was larger, so I could hide the edge of the too large hole. When the clock arrived it was still too small, which I knew.
I just thought I would wrap some electrical tape around the clock to make it fit. That’s what I did, but it was so much tape and the back of the clock was not wide enough so the tape (after sitting for a few hours) slid. This was another delay, because I had no idea how to bridge the gap.
Then the other day, while working on another project, the solution dawned on me: pictures 2 & 3. I cut a bunch of pieces of 1/4’ plywood and (after making sure they were small enough to fit into the curve) I used CA glue to attach them. I had to do a bit of sanding so the clock would fit, but it works great!
Another learning moment for me was the finish. I used the technique the Wood Whisper teaches in the guild. The 30 min video was about $30 and it was WELL WORTH the money! The finish took time, but now that I know what I’m doing, it was an extension of the build and not a necessary evil. I really enjoyed the finishing process.
Along with using chisels to carve out the peg openings (a first for me) I had a number of other firsts and learning moments: I had used a chamfer bit for the first time (and had to leave a lower lip of a 1/16”), used a circle cutting bit (which got smoking hot on the maple and using it for the first time, I was afraid it would spin off the drill press), and a so many other firsts/learning moments that I can’t remember them all.
I found the plans online: PEG CLOCK and ordered the insert clock(s) from KlockKit.com
KlockKit is a great company to work with. The first clock I ordered had a scratch on the lens and after emailing the company, they sent a new ine.