|Project by PPK||posted 06-15-2016 03:01 PM||2917 views||30 times favorited||13 comments|
I finished my drum sander this weekend. (Almost anyway) I will add some “retractable” casters for a mobile base later. It will be the same as my workbench mobile base, if you’re curious as to how I did it. (I don’t know how to link, so go to my projects) I spent about a week of evenings and the weekend building it. The height adjustment was somewhat of a head-scratcher, but what I came up with seems very sturdy, and is easy to fine-tune the height quickly. I’m still waiting on my sandpaper to come, so I don’t know how it sands yet… but when I was using sandpaper on a board to flatten the drum, it’s a beast. No bogging down, and the sanding was very smooth. Feeding panels through should be no problem, I laminated my torsion box, and then put some paste wax on it. BTW, torsion boxes don’t need to be pretty, right? Mine looks like heck inside, but seems stiff and flat and looks just fine on the outside!!
Anyway, here’s the specs:
-1.5 HP, 3450 rpm, 220 volt motor from Harbor Freight, wired with re-purposed DPDT switch from my bandsaw
-19” wide sanding capacity, 5” drum diameter on 3/4” dia. shaft
-2300 feet per minute drum speed (calculates to 1759 rpm on drum)
-velcro to fasten sandpaper
-1/4” to about 4” thickness capacity
-threaded rod for fine table height adjustment (see pictures)
-easily detachable feed table with pinned door hinges and modified swivel socket thing.
-Mobile base (coming soon… I just couldn’t wait to post :-0 )
-4” dust collection port and viewing windows of sanding drum
-very little vibration with link belt and fairly well-balanced drum
-Cost to build: ~ $200 (majority of that was the motor)
Some additional pictures of the build:
Update: I ran some wood through the sander. It works very well, but there is a learning curve on using hook and loop sand paper. I did take the sander to its limits, and blew off all the paper when making too deep a “cut”. The motor didn’t bog much, but the hook and loop has its limits. What I’ll probably do is wrap a strip of tape around the ends of the drum to hold down the tapered ends of the sandpaper. I always used to do this even on the “real” drum sanders at work, and it helped make the paper last longer.
I also got the mobile base done. see the extra pictures below…
( I actually sanded right thru the veneer on this plywood, like I said before, there’s a bit of learning curve ;-)
The height adjuster is great though – it stays put, and is easy to make “micro” adjustment quickly and easily.
- Update 7/18/2016:
I used this thing enough to get a feel for it now, and it really works well. Surprisingly well, actually, because I’ve never built something that works this good. It sands evenly, and has plenty of power. Applying tape to the ends of the roll is a must, or else the wood catches the end of the paper and rips it all off. After I taped the roll ends, I have had no troubles since. Also, not having a power feed is no problem. I kind of actually prefer it, since you can slow down the feed rate if you’ve got a tough spot or have harder wood, etc. The drum does not heat up at all, unlike the commercial kinds that don’t have hook and loop sandpaper. This is awesome.