|Project by Dave Rutan||posted 06-08-2016 11:04 AM||630 views||1 time favorited||6 comments|
I took on the task of installing a window unit air conditioner in a casement window at my church. The electrical outlet was previously run, so now the unit could go in. Because it was a casement window, I didn’t want to just put in a big old plywood panel and block off the view of the outside and any incoming light. The black panel is 3/4 inch plywood and is cut to fit into the space that would usually hold the screen. I brought the screen home to be sure my window would fit the space.
The window was made from a 1×4 that I had from somewhere. It must have been trash picked because it had been planed on the faces. I cut miters in it to form the window and simply ran a kerf along the inner edge of each board, keeping the alignment on each one. I bought a piece of plexiglas and cut it to size, just smaller than needed to fit between the kerfs.
Before assembling things I put a chamfer on the outside edge of the frame, so that it would transition visually with the existing woodwork at church. I did the same with the black painted plywood for the window unit, again to help the visual transition.
After gluing the frame together around the plexiglas, I carefully gave the faces of the frame a sanding to even out the joints and make it look purdy. I finished the wood with a few applications of Danish oil.
Because this is a casement window, for the sake of weatherproofing I’ll be uninstalling the A/C every fall and putting it back in every spring. The only problem I had is that my black plywood is about 1/8 inch too tall. It’ll fit better next year after I adjust the size. For this year a little pressure persuasion won the day.
-- Ni faru ion el ligno!