|Project by Combo Prof||posted 06-03-2016 12:48 AM||1193 views||3 times favorited||16 comments|
These are the drivers I made for LJ HokieKen as my entry in the 2016 shop made screwdriver swap.
- Box top and bottom are matched birds-eye maple.
- Box edge showing walnut splines.
- Interior, screwdrivers, and walnut tool rest.
- Screwdrivers, Grace driver shanks, Ash handles, copper ferules.
- Tool rest can be removed, in case the box is to be used for something else.
- Empty box.
The birds-eye was given to me a neighbor. I re-sawed it to 3/16 inches thick for the top and bottom and 1/2” for the box sides. The ash in the screwdrivers was left over from my workbench build and I don’t recall where the walnut came from. The copper ferules are from plumbing parts and I felt they were required, because I live in “copper country”. This is my first installation of a piano hinge. I used a type 2 Stanley 71 to mortise in the hinge. It is also my first installation of rare earth magnets to make a magnetic catch (LJ Boxguy’s suggestion.) The finish on the Ash handles and box is 3 coats of BlO/Mineral sprits followed by 3 coats of tru-oil (LJ DonW’s suggestion). The Screwdriver handles start out as 1 by 2 by 3 inch blanks. The are are first drilled using a Stanley 59 to ensure the drilled holes are straight. The tenon for the ferule is then cut with a tenon saw and shaped with a gouge. Then they are pre-shaped with coping saw, rasps and file. Finally installing a hanger bolt as an arbor they were drill press turned and sand paper shaped to final form. (I now have restored a lathe to working order, but I did not have one working at the time.)
I learned a lot from this swap and was very happy to participate.
-- Don K, (Houghton, Michigan)