|Project by jeffswildwood||posted 06-03-2016 12:40 AM||1045 views||1 time favorited||15 comments|
This is my entry for the screwdriver swap, 2016. After riding the fence for weeks I finally took the plunge. The problem was I had NO knowledge of how to make one, much less a set. I relied a lot on my friends also in the swap for tips and methods on how to make these. I think I drove a few crazy with questions. But that’s what is so wonderful about these swaps, learning and helping each other.
In addition to no knowledge, I also don’t have a lathe or drill press that would work. I began with several tests until I found a design. A five inch block with a taper cut along all four sides to the tip. Worked great on soft pine but I chose hard maple for the handles. A gift from my sawyer. That was a lot different I found out. After the tapers at about half way down I used a router with a round over bit for shaping. I followed this with the ferrells. Filing. Lots of filing. To install the shafts I used a “burn in” method I learned during the swap. Finished with danish oil.
The box was my bonus. Made from spalted maple, cherry and walnut. All also a gift from my sawyer. (What a guy).
This set went to jmartel, who also recieved my box during the box swap.
I want to thank mosquito for sponsoring this swap and Hokieken for giving me confidence and refusing to let me drop out.
-- We all make mistakes, the trick is to fix it in a way thats says "I meant to do that".