|Project by Rick M.||posted 06-02-2016 03:13 AM||754 views||0 times favorited||11 comments|
The screwdriver is a US made Mac N6 that had a wood handle. I found it one day when accompanying my daughter to an artist’s reuse store. My plan was to rehandle and keep it for myself but plans change. I replaced the wood handle with an 18th century style handle that I like much better. The flat sides prevent rolling and provide leverage for tough screws. The rounded heel fits comfortably in my hand and allows you to bear down if needed. The wood is white mulberry and the sides are dogwood. The dogwood will age to a rich brown, about the color of coffee with a little cream, and have better contrast over time. Dogwood is hard and heavy, similar to rosewood or osage orange. Mulberry is harder than hard maple but tough like hickory, and often used in hockey sticks and tennis rackets. Both woods were harvested locally here in NC and have been drying for years. They should perform well as handle material. I did not epoxy the blade or ferrule because both were a good friction fit. I nailed the taper so well for the ferrule that once I slid it on by hand for a test fitting, there was not getting it off without damaging something so I press fit it rest of the way, about 1/8”, and I can’t imagine it coming off.
The honey dipper was a quick little bonus item. The idea came from Babieca, who sent me one (I was running a bit behind). Not sure of the wood species since it came from a recycled furniture spindle but if I had to guess I’d say red maple.
When I packed the screwdriver, there was a lot of extra room and I keep little items in my office to give away as gifts. A toy zamboni fit in the package perfectly. Not sure if clieb91 has kids or grandkids but hopefully it finds a home.
My original plan was to make a reproduction of an 18th century Stanley turnscrew. Well it turns out they are a little (or in my case, a lot) more difficult than they first appear. It seems like I failed at everything. The first handle inexplicably blew apart as I nearly finished. I ruined two brass ferrules. The blade ended up being about a millimeter wider than I intended. So the lesson is start early. I procrastinated a bit then life started throwing curve balls at an ever increasing pace.. so it goes. A couple of people executed turnscrews extremely well so I hopefully will pick their brain and see where I should have zigged instead zagged.