|Project by Richard||posted 12-20-2009 04:19 AM||2712 views||5 times favorited||14 comments|
This is a humidor I made as a Christmas gift for my father. I used a piece of Black Walnut for the body with maple splines. The top was made using a bookmatched piece of curly walnut with curly maple around the edges. I used quarter inch Spanish cedar for the bottom and to line the sides as well as the top. The main body is of basic miter construction. I used one continuous piece of walnut so the grain would match going around the body of the box. This was a project full of firsts for me. This was my first try at using splines and a spline jig. This was also my first attempt at cutting the top off of the box after glue up using the tablesaw. I goofed up a bit when cutting the top off. Many thanks goes out to the Lumberjocks community for their help and support on turning my goof in to a “design enhancement.” I finished the project off with about six coats of a glossy polyurethane. Added a pair of hinges and a hydrometer and called it complete. Thanks for looking and commenting.