|Project by robscastle||posted 05-28-2016 11:20 PM||1006 views||0 times favorited||9 comments|
This table was the result of me being given a couple of tubs of Blackbutt flooring offcuts.
They were all about 300mm so I determined I had enough to replace a damaged table top with them, so I set to work
Construction:- The off cuts were all cut to size and those too short became half length pieces.
Everything was then glued together into five individual sections, mainly so I could sand them in all my drum sander.
Next the sections were glued together and then trimmed square.
This completed the main section of the table and then the edging was attached.
The edging used was random pieces of Tasmanian Oak I had “just lying about”.
Initally I only had one edge fitted to the table, but I did not like the look of it so an additional mitered edge was added to finish it off hiding the exposed end grain ends.
Being happier with this look I then routed the sharp edges off using a roundover bit and commenced sanding everything.
The sanding process started at 80 Grit which was where the drum sander left off and then finished with a ROS to 320 Grit.
There is a more detailed construction sequence I did in a blog series if interested.
In picture No 6 there is a partial view of the original table top, dont be decieved though, because it was so big I had to make a temporary work surface from MDF to do the job, visible in picture 5!
This had to be the biggest project attempted to date:- No suitable surface to work on, not enough big clamps to do the job, and a steep learning curve as I went!
It took me over a week part time to complete to satisfaction!
The finishing surface is Shellawax applied with a polishing sander.
-- Regards Robert