|Project by Russell Eck||posted 05-24-2016 04:56 PM||3106 views||9 times favorited||11 comments|
Finally finished my modern style platform bed after about a year of chipping away at it. The reason it took me so long was that I wanted to try my hand at veneering and figured a bed of this style would be more stable over the years if it wasn’t made of solid wood.
The bed consists of 5 pieces (two end tables and three rails) that are attached using hidden bolts underneath. I constructed it all out of 3/4 plywood. I then did all my own shop sawn veneer where I cut all the veneer out of 1 inch thick curly maple on the band saw. Then I drum sanded down all the veneer to 3/16th inch thick. Veneer was then glued to make bigger panels. Needless to say it was a lot of work to make it happen.
The actual veneering process was what took the most time and am happy to say that I wont be doing anything of this scale ever again with it. I don’t own a vacuum press or bag so I basically would put all the glue on both the plywood and the veneer back, lay it on once it got tacky, then put a 3 foot by 8 foot piece of 3/4 plywood on top of it then stack boxes on top of it that probably was around 300+ pounds. I would then let it cure for 24 hours, removed all the weight, trim with a router, then roll the rail 90 degrees and do the process all over.
So one rail would take me a minimum of a week to do. I started veneering in fall but had to stop once the temperature dropped below 70 degrees since that was the minimum the glue needed to cure. I used Pro-Glue made by Vac-U-Clamp because of it’s properties. It is a urea resin glue and cures ultra hard which means I will never have to worry about the veneer moving or creeping. I was able to finally finish this project this last week due to the temperatures finally hitting the 70 degree mark again.
I will one day make a headboard for it out of upholstered white leather and I still need to attach the drawer fronts. I learned a lot in this project and will hopefully get some of the “In Progress” photos up soon!