Utility steps

  • Advertise with us
Project by Boneski posted 12-15-2009 01:12 PM 1986 views 5 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch

It was requested by the LOML that some small steps be created to make reaching certain household items possible.
I picked up some very average but cheap plywood and proceeded to chop and glue the bits for two stools (one for the shed too!).
Thought I’d try my hand at edge banding, which turned out well – see close up pics of a join that worked out great!.
Since I don’t have a jointer, I used my router table as one to flatten the timber before chopping it up into edge banding strips.
I finished one with linseed oil / turps and the other with danish oil and satin poly.

-- Blinded by brilliance

7 comments so far

View MsDebbieP's profile


18615 posts in 4157 days

#1 posted 12-15-2009 01:44 PM

it’s lovely .
I could use one in my kitchen.
Nice job.

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (

View thelt's profile


665 posts in 3376 days

#2 posted 12-15-2009 01:58 PM

Like it! do you have plans or just in your head. I’d like to build a couple. My other half (5’0”) is always hollering for me to get stuff off the upper shelves. That’s exactly what I need, so she’ll leave me alone, except for the occasional “open this for me”. LOL

-- When asked what I did to make life worthwhile in my lifetime....I can respond with a great deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served a career in the United States Navy."

View cabinetmaster's profile


10874 posts in 3555 days

#3 posted 12-15-2009 02:12 PM

Nice stools. I’d like the demensions if you don’t mind.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

View woodworm's profile


14468 posts in 3587 days

#4 posted 12-15-2009 03:37 PM

Very nice step stools.
I don’t see any void in the plywood. You still can enjoy building furniture out of good ply. Nowadays (in my place) I cannot expect quality ply, even from the “furniture grade” ones. The price keeps soaring up and the quality is going in opposite direction.

-- masrol, kuala lumpur, MY.

View Boneski's profile


142 posts in 3129 days

#5 posted 12-15-2009 04:00 PM

Thanks for the comments guys.
The plywood was from a salvage yard and was pretty warped…. infact there was some delamination that I relaminated.
The edge banding is really to stop the whole thing from coming apart!
The original plan was to use a drawer lock style of joint on the rung lips (and no nails) but an unfortunate incident with a steel throat plate vs router bit on my router table put a stop to that – not to mention the plate nearly going through the impeller on my dust extractor – yikes!
I’ve since done away with the steel throat plates in favour of acrylic ones, for obvious reasons.

I did make them up without any plans, but I’ll take some measurements and post them.

-- Blinded by brilliance

View Boneski's profile


142 posts in 3129 days

#6 posted 01-10-2010 05:19 AM

Hey guys you’ll be glad to know I finally drew up some plans and posted them.
They’re in millimetres, because that’s the way we roll here in Australia.

-- Blinded by brilliance

View Boneski's profile


142 posts in 3129 days

#7 posted 01-10-2010 05:22 AM

Dimensions are also without the edge banding.

-- Blinded by brilliance

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics