|Project by Richard||posted 12-14-2009 02:59 AM||1523 views||1 time favorited||5 comments|
These are two boxes that I made as Christmas gifts. I tried to give them an oriental flair. The bases are made from poplar and the tops from quilted maple. The base is basic miter construction. On the smaller box I tilted my table saw blade at eight degrees and sawed off the sides. For the larger box I again tilted my blade at eight degrees but only raised the blade to the center point of the box. I then cut all four sides flipped the box upside down and made the same cuts again. For the lids I set my blade at 45 degrees and slowly snuck up on the proper size. For the finish I used an oil based black paint on the bases. On the tops I started with a mixture of black transtint dye and water. I then sanded to 220. I repeated this step three times sanding after each application. Here is what it looks like after an application of the black dye.
After the black I applied three coats of a water and red transtint dye mixture. I then applied three coats of polyurethane to seal the deal. I did this to both the top and bottom of the lids and painted the sides black. My camera gives the lids a bit of an orange tint, but they are red in person. Thanks for looking.