|Project by Sandy||posted 12-07-2009 01:43 AM||4720 views||20 times favorited||9 comments|
I’ve never posted on here before, so I thought that it would be appropriate to have my first post be a project which derived from the site. Therefore, with thanks to BobTheBuilder for the original simplification, along with SimonSKL, who seems to have a knack for getting down to the nitty gritty of what’s important, I hereby end my lurking and submit as my first post a series of KerfMakers which were made from maple and walnut scraps which were in my shop.
Basically, I ripped the pieces, which were about 3/4” thick, into 1 1/4” widths (on my Delta Unisaw). I cut them in half on my 30+ year old Craftsman Radial Arm Saw. At the router table (which I designed), I took each half and cut a 1/4” wide rabbet along one edge, raising the router bit slightly until the height of the rabbets allowed the two pieces to lay flat with their respective rabbets in sliding juxtaposition (OK, I’m a patent attorney and I actually use words like “juxtaposition”).
With the two pieces assembled as pairs, I cut them into lengths approximately 4 1/2” to 5 1/2” without being too picky, but making sure that the pieces in each pair were the same length. I took the remaining scraps and a bit of glue, and I pin nailed them to the end of one piece of each pair, making sure they were oversize in each direction. On the other piece of each pair I used one of my three Shopsmiths as a drill press, and I drilled a 1/4” hole with counterbores for the fender washer on one side and the head of a 1/4” hex bolt on the other side. The fence on the Shopsmith, along with “stop” blocks insured that all of the holes were aligned and concentric. I made sure that the fender washer would overlie the joining piece so it would be trapped when the wing nuts were tightened after assembly.
Using a stationary belt sander I trimmed the end pieces, and sanded them all smooth. Then, back to the router table for 1/8” roundover edging. I then finished the disassembled pairs with Tung Oil and drilled and screwed in the #8 by 5/8” metal screws (used for kerf adjustment). The pairs were then assembled with fender washers, 1/4” hex bolts, and wing nuts.
I actually made 7 of them in my initial “run”. One of the two in the first photo took off to become a “Secret Santa” gift, so it could not wait for the group photo of its six other siblings.
I just finished a cherry toy box for my eight month old (first) grandchild, Ian, so I now have some scrap cherry, which is destined to become more KerfMasters in the near future. I have now posted Ian's Cherry Toy Box and my Homebrewed Router Table, which I used to make the rabbets.
As I received a number of messages about the exact techniques I used, if there is any interest in a “how-to” blog, let me know.