|Project by GaryK||posted 12-05-2009 11:06 PM||2576 views||0 times favorited||25 comments|
I built this out of necessity. My 2 year old daughter was getting into everything. I had an open glass thing that had all my electronics on and I had put a little fence up to keep her out. Well, that stopped working a while ago so here is my child proof media cabilet. It’s not a piece of fine furniture but it only took 2 days to build (the first was glue ups) and it works. I left the back open to have access to all the wires.
There are a lot of firsts here.
The first time I used Cherry.
The first I used pocket screws for a project.
The time I have used stain (I know I did once years ago but I forget when).
The first time I used no mortise hinges.
The first time I used window screen gasket material to hold in glass.
Looking on craigslist I found a guy selling a pile of cherry and maple lumber, so I bought it for $50. The wide cherry boards were glue ups from thinner lumber so I just glued the up some more to make these 20” wide boards.
I know that this will offend a lot of people but for me cherry sucks. My two biggest complaints are it’s brittle and it won’t take dye. I was using a router on the edge and it shattered. I tried to tweak a door frame that wasn’t laying flat and it snapped. I broke of at least 3 steel screws in pre-drilled holes. It does have a good point in that it has closed pores that sands to a silky smooth surface. I will never use it for anything again. I’m probably just used to mahogany which in my opinion is the best wood for furniture, with walnut second.
All the firsts worked great except for the stain. You can read about that HERE if you are interested.
To hold in the glass in I used that rubber stuff that holds window screen in the frame. I figured that with all the problems I was having with the cherry I wasn’t going to use that. I pre-drilled holes in the rubber and into the frame so that I just had to press the brads in place. Worked great , it’s cheap and it’s easy to replace.
Almost the entire project it held together with 3” deck screws which were covered with plugs and sanded flush. There are wheel to make it easy to move, although I should have had them sticking out more than the 1/2” I used. Still kind of hard to roll on carpet.
I included the fourth picture so that you can see whose legs those are in the other pictures. That’s just my butler.
-- Gary - Never pass up the opportunity to make a mistake look like you planned it that way - Tyler, TX