|Project by JimRochester||posted 04-17-2016 10:07 PM||1172 views||3 times favorited||12 comments|
This is my take on the 3D Butterfly board from MTM wood. This one was a challenge I won’t lie. I followed his directions and I would change several things if I make one again. He used regular .75 – 1” stock for the first cuts, set it up on edge then took thinner strips from already thin strips. I’ll start with thicker (1.5”) stock, it will be faster, easier, safer and far less waste. I did a poor job with cauls. It caused the thinner boards get wavy during the glue-ups. So I’ll use more clamps and thicker cauls. I also had a glue-up shift in the clamps. I always let them tack up a bit so they don’t, but one side had a noticeable shift. These photos are after one coat of mineral oil so I still have more finishing to do plus add feet. I used a cove bit to make finger grooves in the side.
Thanks for looking
-- Schooled in the advanced art of sawdust and woodchip manufacturing.