|Project by MarkTheFiddler||posted 04-17-2016 03:07 AM||1101 views||1 time favorited||14 comments|
June 2014: I took Victoria to a gigantic Flea Market in Canton Texas. She saw some Cedar beds she loved and said “Dad, make me one of those.” That was music to my ears.
November 2014: I picked out the logs and got them cut.
October 2015: Logs were dry enough. I started on the bed. I spent forever cleaning up the bark and sanding.
December 2015: Not finished with the sanding. Had skin cancer removed from my nose. It turned into a giant hole which required some pretty fancy plastic surgery and all kinds of rules about straining myself and dust.
End of March 2015: Recovered from the second surgery. Doctor cleared me for woodworking.
Today: I set up Victoria’s new bed. I hope she still wants it!!!!! Heh heh.
Victoria is the Cedar queen. The bed is just full sized.
I learned the wood is actually Juniper and that Texans call it Eastern Cedar.
I spent quite a bit of time auditing the wood to use as much of the natural edge as possible on the headboard, footboard and rails.
I ended up making the headboard separate from the legs the inserted the headboards into large precut mortises or more accurately – slots.
The only hardware I used were the bed rail hangers and screws. The rail hardware was installed into hand-cut mortises.
I disguised the natural edge into the stretchers for the headboard and footboard. I cut a small rectangle out of the four corners then cut small block to fill the gaps.
Here is the best shot I could get out of several tries.
This illustration is crude way to show what I did.
Anyhow, I need a camera that is very user friendly. It’s been a bit frustrating trying to find a decent picture out of the tons I took.
But that doesn’t matter at all.
Victoria just got home. I have never seen her so happy!!!!!
-- Thanks for all the lessons!