|Project by Tim Dahn||posted 11-29-2009 02:43 AM||2458 views||7 times favorited||15 comments|
Thanks goes out to dewoodwork for his blog http://lumberjocks.com/dewoodwork/blog/2597.
I followed the blog and produced 7 of these cutting boards for Christmas presents this year. The first four pics show some of the finished boards and the last two are some random shots during the sawing, gluing, planing, sawing, gluing, planing, repeat, process. I created the pattern in MS Paint. The wood is Birch, Walnut, Bloodwood, and Ipe. They are finished with mineral oil. I found it was easier to glue up the whole board at one time rather than 5 or 6 pieces at a time as dewoodwork did, I just did the glue up on a piece of melamine, I was able to line every thing up and still keep everything flat. After everything was clamped I just cleaned off the melamine before the glue dried. If anyone is interested I can post that process to clarify. Now I have alot of cleaning up to do, making these produces a ton of chips and dust.
-- Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement.