|Project by jaykaypur||posted 04-13-2016 08:57 PM||1143 views||1 time favorited||14 comments|
A neighbor gave me 6 pieces of this walnut wood a couple months ago. All six pieces were pretty much book-matched pieces from the same cut. I used 3 pieces to build the table. The table measures 60” L, tabletop ends are 25” W and middle is 15”, and it stands 19” tall. The top is “held” in place and butted against each other in the middle by a 1” piece of walnut underneath that’s measures 13” wide and 40” in length…it is glued and screwed. On the topside, I made that middle seam into a bowtie across the width. There is a 1/4” variation in the bowties width. There are 3 other bow ties of various sizes in the top and 1 more in one of the legs. The bow ties are all hand chiseled and consist of black sand w/CA glue. A 1” X 1” square walnut dowel with walnut pins secures the 2 legs. I purposely left the old sawmill cuts in the wood. I was told that the wood had been in his barn for at least 60 years and he didn’t know exactly how old the wood was. It WAS dry when I got it! The finish is 2 applications of Danish oil and a liberal application of Howard’s wax. I ran into one problem after the Danish oil was apllied. It seemed that certain grain areas of the wood were bleached out! I called people and researched the web for an answer to no avail. The problem turned out to be that because of the way the saw blade cuts ran and the way the grain ran…that if I buffed against the grain of those saw cut areas…...that raised it up against the much smoother areas of the wood. Anyway, I eliminated the problem by figuring out that I could only buff/rub it in one direction. Don’t know if that made sense, but it worked. Hopefully Winter is over here and I can post more projects in the next 6 months. Thanks for all the looks and comments.
-- Use it up, Wear it out --------------- Make it do, Or do without!