LumberJocks

cherry audio cabinet

  • Advertise with us
Project by chrisworker posted 04-10-2016 02:21 PM 636 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I recently had to design a cabinet for my bosses house to replace a crudely built one that was there originally. I wanted to create a cabinet that could accommodate the digital tuners that operate off of his phone and can also dissipate the heat when they are in use. The design of the cabinet also had to have both shelves pull out to accommodate working on the many wires that are attached to the components.

I enjoy working with cherry and like the end results when done right. I planed all the boards to 3/4” and tried something that I never did before, which was not using one nail or Kreg screw to build it. I didn’t want to see any nail holes and I wanted to learn different methods of joinery. The face frame was my first mortise and tenon ever done with my new Rikon benchtop mortise machine. It was fun to use and learn this method. The face frame then received a 1/4” deep by 3/4” wide dado which I glued and clamped to the side panels. The side panels were done with my MLCS woodworking bits and I finished the panels first before gluing the rail and stiles. The back panel of the cabinet is 4 cherry boards that were put together with biscuits. The units, when in use, generate a good amount of warm air and I originally was going to install a USB driven fan with a whole in the back of the cabinet. I decided to instead have the back panel off the ground 3” and make an open bottom to help with air flow. So far the design is working great.

When it came to finishing this cabinet I sanded it to 220 grit and applied 1 coat of Generals pre-stain conditioner. It dried for about an hour and then I applied a coat of my personal combined stain of Generals cherry stain and Minwax’s walnut stain. I am happy with the color I achieved. The topcoat is from Deft, and it is hands down the best waterbased finish I have ever used by brush or spray. Not kidding. It is Deft indoor/outdoor waterbase satin. Also, it offers uv protecton which is great for the room the cabinet it is in because it has a skylight and many windows which allow a lot of sunlight hitting the cabinet. I have used General’s and Minwax’s waterbased satin topcoats before and I was always bummed out how shiny the satin can would turn out. I prefer to have a duller satin look and Deft gave me the result I wanted right out of the can. I buy it from Amazon.com. I brushed on 3 coats while sanding with 320grit in between. The final coat was sprayed with no thinning with my little Home Depot Husky detail spray gun. It’s about $40.00 and does a great job. I used soft closing European hinges from Woodcraft and finished the cabinet off with a piece of seeded glass for the front door.

-- Chris Bethlehem, PA





2 comments so far

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

17191 posts in 2572 days


#1 posted 04-11-2016 12:42 AM

Very professional looking cabinet. Great job on it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers, Jim

-- Jim Jakosh.....Practical Wood Products...........Learn something new every day!! Variety is the Spice of Life!!

View david38's profile

david38

2535 posts in 1810 days


#2 posted 04-11-2016 02:21 PM

very nice piece

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com