|Project by dmisita||posted 04-10-2016 03:04 AM||864 views||0 times favorited||1 comment|
I have a very small workshop in my basement, it’s about 15×16. Because every inch of space is precious, I am always looking for ways to store my gear in a smaller footprint. For various reasons, I recently decided to change from Norton Waterstones to Shapton glass stones.
Without igniting a whole debate here, my reasons: The IM83 waterstone case is great, but I find it awkward to move around my shop since it’s full of water and stone slurry. The stones sharpen well, but are constantly in need of flattening. And, even with the case to catch the slurry, it still seems to wind up all over my shop. Shapton cures many of these issues for me.
In the recent issue of FWW, Bob Van Dyke shows how to build a sharpening station in a box. I liked the design, but one of the things I noticed was his awesome slipcase in which he holds his Shapton glass stones. It’s a really simple case, little more than 5 sides with a divider in the center to keep the stones from rubbing together.
I decided to try my hand at making my own.
I started by resawing some scrap cherry, (sides are just under 1/4 in, dividers, top, bottom, and back are about 1/8).
I then cut rabbets to hold the top and bottom in place, and put two grooves to hold the dividers in place. Finally, I cut a rabbet across the sides to allow the back to sit flush.
My initial plan involved cutting relief curve at the opening on the band saw, but my initial attempt at this went very badly. I don’t own a spokeshave or spindle sander, so I had no way to fair the really rough curve that the bandsaw left. I cut a new top and bottom, and then I trimmed back the dividers to allow some finger access instead. As a result, the grooves holding the dividers are empty near the opening, but for a shop piece, I’ll deal with it. I guess I could cut some fills for those, but it just doesn’t seem worth it.
After gluing up, I remembered that I own a really nice set of rasps (Liogier, I highly recommend them! 1/2 the price of Auriou, same quality.) I could have faired the curve with those, but alas . . .
The final improvement I made was taking a 1/8 in scrap from one of the dividers and spot gluing it into the bottom slot to raise the 8000 grit stone and allow slightly more finger purchase from the bottom.
My next project will probably be a variant on Bob’s sharpening box. And, this slipcase will nest into that box nicely.