|Project by LoganN||posted 04-08-2016 11:42 AM||1152 views||2 times favorited||10 comments|
Friends of ours asked em to make a bookcase, based on a drawing they made, to fit a specific area of their house. The only catch was that the husband wanted to help build it. Like many of us, i’m completely self-taught, so having someone else in the shop with me was a little intimidating, but it was a lot of fun. I also had some artistic license, so i made a few basic changes to the design, like the thicker face frame and wrapping the top and bottom pieces around the sides
This is made out of plywood with maple facing. I used pocket screws to build the face frame and biscuits to join it to the body. The biggest issues I had were that I forgot maple doesn’t stain as nicely as the plywood, so I had to do some creative chemistry to match the face frame to the body and the spray lacquer I used didn’t like the cold weather and started getting cloudy in spots. I had the back cut at HD before I built the body, so (of course) it was about 1/2” too long and required several trimmings until it fit. I had 40 minutes to put this on before he came over to help move it to his house and I hurried—- which resulted in a scratch on the top from the clamp, a loud swear word from me, a dent on the top where another clamp fell, another swear word from me, and 3 places in the back where the nail gun just missed the shelf and left an ugly mark, and then more swear words from me.
The important thing is that it came out well and they are really happy with it.