|Project by Dave Rutan||posted 04-01-2016 10:24 AM||1173 views||0 times favorited||7 comments|
I’ve waited over two months to post this project on this very appropriate day. Those of you who are Simpsons fans will appreciate this clip:
Others will get the explanation here: [link]
[Below] I began this project by opening up a cheap D cell battery and pulling out the carbon rod inside.
[Below] Then I chose a piece of wood to use. I’m pretty sure this is either poplar or maple. It’s definitely heavier and harder than pine.
[Below] Then I cleaned up the edges using the table saw. The faces had been planed clean previously.
[Below] Next I used my miter sled to cut out an isosceles triangle from the piece of wood.
[Below] Using my little home made brass square, I found and marked a dividing line from the base of the triangle to the apex.
[Below] I marked a spot just above the halfway point on that line.
[Below] Here I am measuring the rod to determine the required drill bit size for the hole.
[Below] I propped up the back of the triangle (the hypotenuse side) on a 1/2 inch drill bit along the fence to give the hole an angle. I drilled in about 1/4 inch deep.
[Below] Next I chamfered the upper edge of the piece carefully using my router table.
[Below] A spray coat of black paint came next. The idea being to paint the chamfered edges black.
[Below] Next, using my random orbit sander I sanded the black paint off of all the faces except for the chamfered edges.
[Below] The last thing to do was a thorough coating of spray lacquer! (bottom side up in photo.)
-- Ni faru ion el ligno!