|Project by Adrian78||posted 03-31-2016 10:33 AM||1003 views||1 time favorited||9 comments|
After having made a cradle for my sister’s first baby I decided to make something different for the second and settled on a blanket chest. Since she was having a girl I wanted to add some color to it and settled maple for the frame, purpleheart for the panels, and then lined it all with aromatic cedar. Its fairly large, about 40” wide, 24” high and 24” deep.
When designing the chest I decided on a box technique mitering the corners and holding together with a spline. In theory this was a great idea but in reality it made the assembly much harder than it could have been had I just mortised and tenoned the frame together.
The panels on the front and sides were from a 14” wide piece of purpleheart that I had cut and milled to 1/4” to slide in the groves of the maple frame. (As a side note I started out with a regular bandsaw blade and after wasting way too much purpleheart during the resaw I picked up a Laguna resaw king blade-well worth the investment. It made resawing the remaining pieces so much easier.) The back panels (of which I forgot to take photos) are made of bookmatched purpleheart since I ran out of the wide stock.
The inside was then lined with aromatic cedar, milled to 3/8”. I didn’t have the time to tongue and groove the lining since the baby showed up early so I just had to line it up and glue it in place. At the last minute I decided to add a lip around and add a little drawer of maple, box jointed together, and also lined with cedar.
I coated the purpleheart with a marine spar varnish to protect from browning and on the maple I used a water based satin General Finishes Arm-R-Seal. The torsion hinges are from Rockler and work great. The directions said I needed five of the hinges based on the weight and size but after installing three it worked great and I decided I didn’t need any more.
You can see my one mistake in the lower left front where a cut the rabbet too wide and had to fill it in. I failed to do a dry test fit and only noticed it on glue-up. Lesson learned.
Overall it was a fun build and as always a great opportunity to develop new skills.