|Project by jwicks||posted 11-17-2009 02:32 AM||1914 views||16 times favorited||12 comments|
After completing a walnut end table, I decided to make 2 more. This time I used cherry.
I really like the size of this project since it doesn’t use a lot of wood and can be done in a relatively short amount of time. Yet it still provides a lot of opportunities to practice and improve on a lot of woodworking skills.
Here are some things I did differently this time around:
- I tried a different technique for cutting the tenon shoulders. Rather than using a dado blade I used a bandsaw to cut the cheeks after defining the shoulders on the table saw. I found it a lot easier and it required a lot less shoulder plane work doing it this way.
- Finished all surfaces with a hand plane. I only used sandpaper to cut some of the sharp corners. I am definitely going to be doing this more whenever I can. The final surface was awesome, and generated with only a few handplane passes, and I avoided the loud and dusty process of sanding which I dread. It made the final stages a lot more enjoyable.
- Used table top fasteners that went in biscuit slots in the aprons instead of making wooden buttons.
There are lots of other opportunities to practice or learn new skills, ex. the mortises could be cut by hand along with the tenons, the tapers by bandsaw, etc, etc etc..
The finish I used was Watco Danish Oil and 3 coats of Arm-R-Seal Satin.