|Project by Tennessee||posted 03-26-2016 11:54 AM||337 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
About two weeks ago, a guitar repair came into my shop, a horribly broken neck on an Epiphone guitar. To make matters worse, someone had ground away a lot of the break area and glued in a dowel with the grain perpendicular to the neck grain, trying to fill some of the break. They got it back together with some sort of epoxy, sanded it all down, painted it black, polished it and sold the guitar to the guy who brought it to me at a flea market.
Obviously, after a few days, the neck had snapped again. I told him I would try to fix it, but there was not enough wood left to do the job properly. Sure enough, I could not get the remaining wood to hold, and major repairs were not worth the value of the guitar, so I gave him back his guitar no charge.
While handing it to him, I asked him what he planned to do with it, and he said throw it in the garbage. I told him I would like to be his garbage can, and he could have whatever he wanted off the body if I could just keep the body. All he wanted was the strap pegs and the tuners. Good by me!
After he left, I then carefully cut the top off the sides, using a speedy cut on an angle grinder. Smokes like the dickens, but cuts smooth and the plywood/veneer construction of a cheaper guitar like this does not like saw blades. Speedy discs work better, but you should have the fans on!!
What I ended up with was the complete front, binding, and about 1/8” of the side, all intact. I bandsawed the neck in half, then cut more as described below.
I then took a hand plane and planed off all the bracing inside the front until it was all level with the outside edge.
Then I took paint grade maple, (cheapest I had in stock), and glued up a 3/4” plank that would hold the front. After glueup, and planing, I drew an outline of the front on the maple, and cut it out on the bandsaw.
After sanding to make it the same size, I painted the area of the maple where the soundhole would let the back show through, and glued on the front.
After gluing it on, I found center in the soundhole, and drilled the proper hole size for a clock mechanism. Then I turned it over, and using a small router, created the center square that the clock body would sit in, allowing the stem to stick through the proper distance so the hands would clear the neck.
I sawed off the back half of the remaining set neck, so I could extract the old truss rod, then making it flat on the back, and rounding off the top. Stained that very dark and done since it faces the wall.
I stained the maple back dark and added a simple coat of paste wax. Mounted the clock mechanism, hanging hook, and finally the numbers which are stick-on from Hobby Lobby.
Glued the string pins back in, having to drill down a bit into the maple so they would hold. Used super glue for that. Polished it all up and added the battery and hands, set the time.
I had maybe $10 in this, and overall, workwise, maybe two hours tops.
I put it in my Etsy store, and four days later, somebody popped $75 plus shipping. Not bad in my book. Now looking for another broken acoustic! And to top it all off, I also cut off the beautiful mahogany back, but still have not decided what to do with it.
Thanks for looking, and copy it if you want!
-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com