|Project by sgmdwk||posted 03-24-2016 04:20 PM||732 views||0 times favorited||7 comments|
OK, this isn’t much of a project; just a couple hours fooling around in the shop.
I have had an old Stanley backsaw for 35 years, or so. It came with a plastic miter box, lost years ago. I seem to use this saw a lot – too cheap to buy something better. But the plastic handle has always bothered me. Yesterday, I came upon a Website with dozens of saw handle templates. I printed off a few, then picked one that seemed the right size. I glued it to a piece of scrap walnut I had in the shop bin. A few minutes with the drill press, a jigsaw and my band saw, and I had a rough handle. I had to figure out how to mount the thing (I was winging it, here). I ripped a kerf with my band saw and its fence, laid out the screw locations and drilled them, then carved out the top of the kerf to accept the back of the saw. When I had that down, I set to work with a rasp and some sandpaper to make it comfortable. Finally, I gave it a rub with boiled linseed oil. I like it.
It’s still a crummy old Stanley saw, but it looks much classier, now.
-- Dave K.