|Project by curliejones||posted 03-24-2016 12:55 PM||560 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
Home plumbing disaster leads to improvement! That is a typical headline for a DIYer. The adjacent room to our study sprung a leak at the washer supply hose. (BTW, if you have not changed washer hoses in 5 yrs., do it soon). This is cabinet construction with oak plywood shelves and a solid oak face frame. The top, middle, and bottom are dadoed into the plywood sides while the other twelve shelves are adjustable. The floor frame was build of 2 X 3 (ripped 2X6) and screwed together and to the floor. Just a half dozen screws through the casework really locked it in.
I built 2 jigs for cutting long and across the plywood rather than attempt to put full sheets through the table saw. Once ripped down to 15-7/8 (saw kerf) I passed them thru the table saw to dress the edges.
Other handy things – I bought the Kreg shelf-pin jig for drilling 1/4” holes (300 of them) and was glad I spent the dollars. I also built the common adjustable dado jig for using a router. Aiming for precision, I measured at least twice; aiming for a finish cut, I scored the plywood veneer with a razor knife. The joints were just right tight and some wood glue and a few 18 ga brad nails did the assembly trick. I put together four lengths of pipe so I could clamp the case work for an overnight set after assembly. I used quite a number of other clamps in addition to the four long pipe clamps. As is typical, I simply added 3/4” unions to my pipe clamps to get the lengths needed for the case work measuring 81”.
I’m pretty happy with the results and wrote up in my blog how we moved the casework into the house. I’m really happy this is completed and we can put the house back in order.
-- Like Guy Clark sez - "Sometimes I use my head, Sometimes I get a bigger hammer"