|Project by Vince85||posted 11-14-2009 05:44 AM||2944 views||0 times favorited||5 comments|
This is a potato bin I just finished yesterday. It is made from solid cherry with lacewood inlay and accents. The inside bottom is just cherry slats and the back has holes drilled in it for air flow. I had a hell of a time with the angles involved in this project. Getting the top piece angle and the lid angle to match with the sides, it gave me a headache for awhile. But I finally got it really close and went with it.I was unsure of what to finish it with to set off the cherry grain as well as show off the lacewood. My wife wanted it stained dark (which I hear is a crime on cherry, which I agree with totally now) but every dark stain I tested on scrap made cherry so dark the lacewood would have been pointless. Anyways I finally settled on Danish Oil (I hope thats not a crime Im just a beginner). The bin I took measurments from had a knob towards the bottom of the lid for opening but my lid hangs over enough I dont think Im going to install one. Hinges are solid brass . Oh and its supposed to hold a 10 lb bag of potatoes I will be going to the store tomorrow and we shall find out for sure. Im very new to woodworking so let me know if there are things I should have done different. Sorry some of the pics are blurry but after all this is a woodworking site not a photography site right.
Also the pics make it look more yellow than it is exp on the tops when shot from the side
Thanks for checking my work