|Project by Bob Collins||posted 11-13-2009 01:40 PM||1185 views||1 time favorited||7 comments|
These three 11” diam. platters were turned using Australian White Cedar, there was no worthy grain and looked rather dull. In the effort to make them presentable I turned the bases down to around 1/4” or less thick and thought I would try mosaic patterns. The first one I did with different pieces of burl that would have ended up in the rubbish. The other two I used veneers I trimmed off blanks with the table saw. I finished the bare wood with light Teak varnish and then two coats of gloss Estapol. I cut the individual pieces with the scroll saw and glued to the thin base with Exterior Aquadere. After 24 hours it was back on the lathe and the inside smoothed and sanded.
-- Bob C, Australia. I love sharing as long as it is not my tools