|Project by Dave Rutan||posted 03-21-2016 05:17 PM||704 views||0 times favorited||7 comments|
Recently the coffee maker at our church permanently stopped working, so my pastor dusted off and set up the old percolator to make Sunday morning coffee. The trouble is that it sat too low on the cart to easily get a coffee cup or mug under the spout.
Seeing a need, I told him I would make a little stand to raise the urn up so that it was more usable. I took some basic measurements and headed home after service.
I took an oak board that I salvaged from a pallet and cut it down and glued it up to the top. The wood also showed some spalting which was a plus! I planed and sanded the top, cut it to size, and used that measurement to create the base.
Then I grabbed a piece of oak from an old plant stand and mitered the corners to make the base. I routed a shallow rabbet in that to accept the top, keeping it just barely below the edge of the base. I also put a rabbet in the underside of the top to increase the gluing area.
The piece is finished with spray lacquer. I used slices from an old cork to create little feet, putting one in each corner.
The comment from my pastor was that it was too nice to use, but it is being used.
-- Ni faru ion el ligno!