|Project by ClaytonsScrollsaw||posted 03-20-2016 06:21 PM||2052 views||13 times favorited||24 comments|
So I decided to make another Chess Set. This one I am going to try to sell. The dark side is walnut while the light side is hard maple. I changed the design a little bit from the original. I rounded the sides a bit and added the feet. I also completely redesigned the Knight. The board is also a complete redesign. I tried to mimic the design characteristics of the pieces them selves. It is also made of walnut and maple. The tiles are Walnut and White Marble. I used 4 coats of bar top epoxy for the surface. This gives the board a depth to its appearance that is hard to capture in the photos. The pieces and the sides of the boards have 3 coats of high gloss urethane. All in all this set only took me 3 months to complete. A far cry shorter amount of time than the 4 years for the first set.
The pieces and the corners of the board are made entirely on my scroll saw using a compound cutting technique. And each piece is made from a solid piece of wood, no glue or seems. The white marble I had to borrow my neighbors wet saw again to get them to the right size. This is the first time I used bar top epoxy and am very pleased with the results. I was nervous about it because i read a lot on how easy it is to mess it up and not get a good hard surface. I found that as long as you mix it 50/50 as close as you possibly can it is pretty easy to use. A propane torch works wonders for getting the tiny air bubble out.
Wish me luck on selling it and thanks for looking.